What would you do if you discovered mold in your home? Would you immediately try to remove it or scrub it away? If you answered yes then you are like 90 percent of the people out there. Most people indeed associate mold with danger and harmful side effects, but this shouldn’t be the case at all. Yes, mold is dangerous and it has the potential to cause major health problems, but most molds found throughout the home are harmless. In fact, mold usually isn’t a problem at all until it comes into contact with dampness or moisture. Disturbing mold or trying to remove it could actually put you at more of a risk.
Most Common Effects Associated With Mold
When it comes right down to it mold is dangerous and potentially lethal because it produces allergens, irritants, and in some cases, toxic substances. People that are already sensitive to allergies could be even more vulnerable around the mold. Simply coming into contact with the spores could cause an allergic reaction that sends you to the emergency room. Some common allergic reactions associated with mold include sneezing, runny noses, red eyes, and skin rashes.
It is also not uncommon for individuals to suffer asthma symptoms when exposed to mold for extended periods of time. If you already have asthma then coming into contact with the substance will only further exasperate your ails. Even people that are not sensitive to allergies can suffer ailments from exposure to mold. Among these individuals, the side effects are usually the same, sneezing, runny noses, red eyes, or skin rashes.
It should be noted that these are just the most commonly reported side effects associated with exposure to mold. Research of the substance is ongoing, but it does indicate that mold could cause all kinds of unwanted health issues.