Mold Removal CT Logo
5/5

Call Today!

  • Mon - Fri 9am-5pm

What Is Mold

Mold is a fungus that grows indoors and outdoors on animate (living) and inanimate (not living) objects. It takes on various colors including green, gray, brown, orange, yellow, red, black, and white. Sometimes it will consist of a mixture of colors.

Larger colonies of mold generally appear in green, blue, or black. The color of mold is determined by various factors including age, source of nutrients, and surface substrate.

The ideal environment for mold is damp and dark. Long-term exposure to mold will lead to serious health problems. Mold growth on dairy products and produce, such as vegetables and fruits, will cause damage and eventually spoilage. Some molds are utilized in food and antibiotic production.

While some people are under the impression that mold is dangerous under all circumstances but that could be farther from the truth. Some molds are utilized in food and antibiotic production. Mold growth in non-contained environments poses the most dangerous for humans. That is especially true when the spores become airborne.

Where Does Mold Derive From? How Is It Identified?

Mold spores thrive in moist, dark environments. The spores can travel for short distances through the air. Wherever the spores land, they will grow as long as the conditions are suitable.

Humans and animals are exposed to fungi on a daily basis. Short-term exposure generally does not pose health risks. But, long-term exposure will lead to serious health issues. If there is an area in your home that is suitable for mold, it will be at risk.

Mold spores are tiny in size. So, they are generally not visible to the naked eye. As the spores grow into large colonies, they will become more visible. Eventually, you will be able to see them from a short distance.

Mold spores can break loose from their colonies and become airborne. At that point, they pose the most health risk for humans. People living with autoimmune diseases, cancer, and respiratory diseases are at a higher risk of complications than healthy individuals.

 

Mold Growth – The Impact Of Moisture

It cannot be stressed enough the importance of moisture for mold growth.

Moisture generated from cooking, humidifiers, plumbing leaks, and condensation can contribute to mold growth indoors. To prevent mold growth, experts recommend a dehumidifier, a machine that removes moisture from the environment.

Poor ventilation is a major contributor to humidity, which contributes to mold growth.

The air quality in an indoor environment with mold will eventually be downgraded to “poor”. Prolong exposure to mold will lead to structural damage and chronic medical conditions. Short-term exposure will cause upper respiratory-like symptoms, such as sneezing, itchy eyes, and coughing.

The only way to ensure your home or business is free of mold is through professional inspections. It is crucial for everyone to know the dangers of living in a mold-infested environment. Speak with a licensed contractor to learn more about mold inspections and testing. Keeping your home and family safe is a big responsibility. But, with the help of your local mold contractor, you will be able to sleep at night.

Ready to get started? Call Now

Call us at 203-904-2772