Have you ever been inside someone’s home and noticed that it has a distinct smell? You probably don’t even notice the smell of your own home anymore, so when you walk into another individual’s home it can be overwhelming. Sometimes it is not a good overwhelming either. This is especially true when it comes to mold.
There are a lot of things that constitute the smell of a home and mold could be one of those major things. It is true that mold isn’t always strong and overwhelming when it is present, but there is a chance that if you are standing in a home with mold, you will know it. Some individuals would probably describe mold as musty, while others have described it as earthy, meaty, or similar to wet socks.
Whatever your experience, what you need to know is that mold produces gases as it grows and expands. It is these gases that are emitting these vapors into the atmosphere of your home. These vapors are commonly referred to as MVOCs or microbial volatile organic compounds. Mold has different growth stages and it will emit different vapors during each of these stages, so mold can theoretically mold can produce different smells.
When You Smell Mold
Where most homeowners make the mistake is thinking that they can do things on their own. Sure, this is a great way to save money, but you do not want to mess around when it comes to mold. You can’t just simply crack a few windows for a week and think that musty smell is going to go away. Now, this is not to say that old moldy smell can’t be eliminated.
This is just saying that it is best to take action right away rather than just waiting and seeing what happens. Chances are the smell will not go away on its own. And, if you are dousing your house with agents and cleaners, you are just simply masking the smell as well as poisoning your family with harmful chemicals. If you smell or suspect your home is infected with mold, you should turn to a professional immediately.
When The Smell Doesn’t Go Away
If your attempts at removing that musty smell have proven useless then there is a good chance that you are dealing with underlying issues. One of these underlying issues might be what is known as mildew. Mildew is simply nothing more than mold at its earliest growth stage. This is where it gives begins to develop on the surface throughout the hold. It can commonly be mistaken for dirt, and this is why many homeowners miss it.
Any mold expert will tell you that musty odors aren’t usually as strong as moldy odors. However, that does not mean that either should be ignored. Both are an indication of potential mold growth and should be acted on quickly.
If you are smelling odors in your home or just suspect that you might, you can always give Mold Removal Connecticut a call at (203) 904-2772. You can also visit us online and fill out a contact form if you want. We provide free mold inspections as well as removal and treatment throughout the state of Connecticut. Give us a call today for a free consultation.