Mold Removal CT Logo

Call Today!

Chimney Fire Safety And Prevention

Having a fireplace at home can be wonderful. The fireplace will put you in the holiday spirit while keeping your home warm and comfortable. The only downside is that a fireplace can be dangerous when it is not carefully maintained. You must make sure that your fireplace and chimney are cleaned regularly to avoid potential problems. It is estimated that there are more than 22,000 chimney fires every year. While this can be terrifying, you can reduce the likelihood that you’re going to experience a chimney fire. Mold Removal CT Unless you care for your chimney and fireplace, you might have to deal with a chimney fire. Depending on the severity of the fire, it could destroy your home, damage neighboring structures, and kill your loved ones.

The Sound Of A Chimney Fire

You cannot ignore the sounds of your fireplace. If you notice any strange sounds, there is a risk that it could be a chimney fire. Be sure to pay close attention to popping and cracking noises. Ultimately, this could be an indicator that you’re about to experience a chimney fire. You’ll also want to look for an intense smell and dense smoke. Most chimney fires will burn intensely, but some burn slowly. Pay attention so you can stop fires before they worsen.

About Creosote

Creosote is common in chimneys and fireplaces. When you use your fireplace, gasses are going to exit your home through the chimney. The gasses will be mixed with tar fog, minerals, water vapor, smoke, and unburned wood particles. The condensation process will leave a thick substance on the walls of your chimney. The sticky material is called creosote. The problem is that the material is combustible so it can easily lead to a chimney fire. Removing the creosote from your chimney regularly is the best way to prevent this from happening.

Preventing Chimney Fires

Taking certain steps can help prevent chimney fires although there is no guarantee. Use the advice below to reduce the risk of a chimney fire.
  • First, you should make sure that a professional cleaner cleans your chimney often. Creosote is the primary cause of chimney fires. If you get rid of this substance, you may be able to avoid a future fire. Typically, you can clean the chimney yourself using a chimney brush. However, it is much easier to hire a professional who can clean the chimney for you.
  • Be careful when burning items in your fireplace. In particular, you should never burn trash or cardboard in a fireplace. These items will cause too much smoke and creosote.
  • Make sure that you’re burning the right type of wood in your fireplace. For the best results, you should use seasonable wood that has dried completely. If the wood is still moist, it’ll be much harder to burn it. Unseasonable wood is going to require more energy to successfully burn. It is best to let the wood dry for six months or so before trying to burn it.

Putting Out A Chimney Fire

There is always a chance that you’re going to encounter a chimney fire. Once this happens, it is pertinent to do something about it immediately because the fire could consume your house.
  • Begin by warning everyone in your home. Give them time to escape.
  • Try using a chimney fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire. Be sure to read the instructions carefully so you don’t use the fire extinguisher incorrectly.
  • Choke off the fire by closing the doors. This will help prevent oxygen from reaching the fire so it could extinguish it.
  • Look at the top of the chimney to see if there are any sparks. If there are, they could cause the fire to spread.
  • When possible, use a garden hose to spray water on the chimney fire. If the fire is still small, this might be enough to put it out.
If you can’t extinguish the fire, be sure to call emergency services. It is always best to let the firefighters put out the fire to avoid losing your home.

Recent Post